Maximize production and minimize risk
Successful production system design and operations requires a detailed understanding of multiphase flow behavior. Flow modeling and simulation provides valuable insights into flow behavior, including the physics describing flow through the entire production systems, from reservoir pore to process facility.
The OLGA dynamic multiphase flow simulator models time-dependent behaviors, or transient flow, to maximize production potential. Transient modeling is an essential component for feasibility studies and field development design. Dynamic simulation is essential in deepwater and is used extensively in both offshore and onshore developments to investigate transient behavior in pipelines and wellbores.
Transient simulation with the OLGA simulator provides an added dimension to steady-state analyses by predicting system dynamics such as time-varying changes in flow rates, fluid compositions, temperature, solids deposition and operational changes.
From wellbore dynamics for any well completion to pipeline systems with all types of process equipment, the OLGA simulator provides an accurate prediction of key operational conditions involving transient flow.
Key flow simulation applications
The OLGA simulator enables key flow simulation applications, including
- liquids handling
- sizing separators and slug catchers
- managing solids
- simulating key operational procedures including start-up, shut-down, and pigging
- modeling for contingency planning
- assessing environmental risk in complex deepwater drilling environments.
Over 30 years of research and development
Customer-supported innovation and research has been at the core of the OLGA simulator’s development for more than 30 years. Validation of the OLGA code with large-scale lab research and the largest database of actual production data from leading E&P companies are key factors in its ongoing development.
Major oil and engineering companies participate in the OLGA Verification and Improvement Project (OVIP), which has collected the world’s largest database of lab and field data. This data has been used to validate and adapt the multiphase flow models. Results are continuously implemented in the OLGA simulator, improving the core technology to better match the realities of operations.
Additionally, the Horizon project is cosponsored by seven major oil companies, which addresses problems related to the cost-effective development and safe operation of long-distance gas-condensate transport and long-distance transport of oil well streams.
OLGA Online Dynamic Production Management System
Real-Time Digital Twin Core:
- OLGA dynamic multiphase flow simulator model
- Real-time data execution, calibrated to field (from field control system, SCADA or Historian)
- Calculated results anywhere in the system (virtual metering)
- Web interface available anywhere
- Field calibrated snapshots to the OLGA simulator
- Optional add on modules: Look-ahead functionality, planning/what if simulations (offline), web scenario tool, advisors
- Leak detection
- Hydrate and inhibitor control
- Cooldown time
- Pigging operations
- Hydraulic management
- Wax risk monitoring
- Operational envelope
- Corrosion and erosion estimation
- Gas packing/de-packing/survival time