The latest release of the Petrel E&P software platform makes further gains to bring disciplines together with best-in-class science in an unparalleled productivity environment. This shared earth approach enables companies to standardize workflows from exploration to production—and make more informed decisions with a clear understanding of both opportunities and risks. Updates by discipline are listed below.
- Petroleum systems modeling—Gain contextual understanding of the burial history, source rock maturation, hydrocarbon expulsion potential, and changes to properties over time in the reservoir and overburden, through 1D petroleum systems modeling.
- Deviated well correlation—Accurately correlate deviated wells with seismic and models, including prestack data, and perform RC modeling in the well section.
- Volumetrics—Generate accurate map-based volumetrics without the need for a 3D model.
- General enhancements—Improved stratigraphic charts, map layering, time series logs, and more.
- Salt interpretation—Multi-Z interpretation and improved links with Omega seismic data processing software.
- Structural interpretation—Augmented horizon autotracking and seismic reconstruction workflow—with the ability to include multiple horizon types—allowing you to iteratively refine and validate the structural framework through interactive chronostratigraphic displays of seismic sections.
- Stratigraphic interpretation—Enhanced seismic illumination, visualization, and geobody extraction—taking advantage of the latest rendering technology.
- General enhancements—Improved 2D loading, multithreaded seismic calculator, composite lines on non-overlapping surveys, time variant wavelets, interval velocity maps, and more.
- Structural modeling—A new, volume-based modeling approach, supporting accurate representation of structural and depositional complexity.
- Scenario modeling—Improved uncertainty and scenario modeling beyond simple random parameter perturbation, enabled by updates to the workflow manager.
- Property modeling—multistructure datasets are now fully supported with the introduction of nested variograms; an essential element in accurately predicting properties away from known data points.
- Dual-scale reservoir modeing—This new reservoir model building workflow enables you to build linked geological and simulation models that contain the structural resolution and geological property resolution necessary to characterize the static and dynamic reservoir behavior.
- General enhancements—Improved performance through parallelization, enhanced property and facies modeling, and more.
- Advanced well handling—Import control data and apply status rules for sliding sleeve devices and flow control valves.
- Field management—New region property list, as well as efficiency and usability improvements.
- INTERSECT connection—Improved support for INTERSECT workflows.
- General enhancements—Additional keyword support, improved charting and analysis, greater control of capillary pressure and relative permeability functions, and more.
- Production integration—Gain a greater understanding of how production relates to geology, with the introduction of well deliverability and production analytics functionality.
- Geomechanics—Greater understanding on drilling risk and well optimization with the introduction of two coupling for 3D and 4D Geomechanics.
- Well Planning—Data inspector for Well Design, for more interactive well planning in 3D context.
- Web map gallery—Enables users to choose from a selection of predefined map services.
- Find—Improved search functionality with more data sources, providing awareness of data across the enterprise.
- GIS integration—Enhanced use of GIS web map services with smart spatial filters and previews.
- Consolidated data administration—Studio Manager application for improved enterprise data management and support for Microsoft SQL server.
- Data Management—Updated ESRI Projection Engine and a utility to facilitate better management of corporate CRS definitions
- Unified help—provides unified access to help and documentation.
- Ease of use—Updated window scheme and icons, changes in the way the data tree synchronizes with actions in the display window, and more interaction with the data through heads-up data inspectors added throughout.
- Performance—Significant performance improvements for point and polygon rendering, large model handling, high well counts, and project startup.
Standardize your workflows
The breadth and depth of the Petrel platform enables E&P companies to deploy standardized software workflows from exploration to production. The key is integrating disciplines from petroleum systems modeling through to production analysis on a single platform, while maintaining extensibility with third-party plug-ins or propriety technology.
As part of our ongoing commitment to standardization, the Petrel platform is delivered in a regular structured update process. This efficient access to new capabilities allows you to proactively plan your deployment procedure.