The latest release of the Petrel E&P software platform introduces a wide range of new features and quality improvements covering stability, performance, and reliability. The interface is laid out in a logical way; the 3D window data allows you to focus on the geoscience workflow relevant to your project. Key updates by discipline are listed below.
- One-dimensional fault seal evaluation: Juxtaposition mapping for rapid understanding of seal potential during exploration.
- Map-based volume calculation (uncertainty): Quantify volumetric uncertainty based on stochastic realizations directly in map-based volumetric workflows.
- Volume-based modeling and Depospace: Construct watertight fault frameworks using volume-based modeling. Flatten your model into the depositional space where facies and properties are modeled.
- Quality Assurance (QA) maps: Produce and automatically update QA attribute maps from your 3D properties.
- Modeling input parameters spreadsheet for continuous properties: View, edit, exchange, and report full sets or subsets of petrophysical parameters between zones.
- Facies modeling: An enhanced and intuitive interface for using both the truncated Gaussian with trends and the vertical proportion curves.
- Fracture modeling: Evaluate and model discrete and implicit fractures, driven by either stochastic, geomechanical or tectonic drivers.
- Exploration geology: Directly assign PetroMod petroleum systems modeling software lithologies to Petrel platform facies models, perform well calibration in 1D petroleum systems modeling, and directly access PetroMod software 3D simulation results.
- Smart Folders: Flexible filtering and sorting of your data inventory based on data attributes (for surface, well, seismic and model properties).
- General enhancements: Improved stereonet and rose diagram plotting, well correlation, stratigraphic chart window, map layering, time series logs and performance through parallelization, enhanced property and facies modeling, map contouring, and more.
- Quantitative Interpretation: Investigate AVO anomalies and interpret lithology and pore fluids based advanced Rock Physics, AVO Modeling & Reconnaissance, Seismic Inversion, Cross-plotting and Wedge Modeling.
- Compression: Achieve a compression file size ratio of 25:1 whilst retaining full original 32-bit resolution.
- Frequency spectrum: Inspector enables quick and interactive interrogation of the frequency spectrum as you select an area of interest in 2D and 3D seismic sections.
- Dip angle and dip azimuth on horizons: Generate and display dip angle and dip azimuth attributes directly from horizon interpretations.
- Triangular mesh:Use the regenerate option to update the existing triangular mesh while interpreting.
- Geobody: Extraction can now be done directly from seismic intersections at full seismic resolution without the use of a probe. The GPU power is fully used, allowing you to extract bodies from huge seismic volumes.
- Well-seismic calibration: Combine different wavelets along the well path and perform multiwell calibration and synthetic generation through the workflow editor to optimize multiwell analysis.
- General enhancements: Improved visualization and access to data with 24-bit true color interpolation, horizontal time-slice indicators, live auto-tracking in 2D and 3D windows, and more.
- Survey Extend workflows: Allow re-parenting/copying operation of horizon interpretation from one survey to another in a survey extend scenario.
- Seismic Overlay: allows the user to co-visualize different seismic attributes, vintages and velocities while interpreting.
- Consistent Dip
- Consistent Curvature and Directional Blending: two new attributes for an accurate delineation of geologic lineaments.
- Quick plotting: Quickly plot rock physics, fluid model, tornado chart, history match results and field performance data.
- Export well model to the PIPESIM simulator: A more continuous connection to production is established when exporting well models to the PIPESIM simulator.
- Dual-scale workflow: Minimize property mismatches due to varying structural definitions, and maximize geological accuracy between coarse up-scaled models and fine-scaled geological models.
- Field Management: Advances in the field management capabilities and fast export of multimillion cell models have resulted in even more efficient Petrel platform and INTERSECT simulator workflows.
- Uncertainty and optimization: Access two new optimization algorithms: Genetic algorithm and Mixed-Integer Proxy Optimizer for greater flexibility and quicker optimization.
- General enhancements: Enhancements to INTERSECT reporting, additional correlation and cluster analysis tools, customized chart splitting, dynamic well filtering, save searches, and more.
- Well deliverability: Access to fluid- and flow-correlation data matching, as well as extended connection to ECLIPSE simulator parameters.
- OFM Data Connector: Significantly enhanced interface for better well-matching capabilities with improved performance.
- Extensibility: Create additional functionality for completion and production data on the Ocean API framework to access completion level data and split-set managing.
- Production interpretation: Utilize high- and low-frequency sporadic production data to perform rate transient analysis for well and completion evaluations.
- Wellhead position uncertainty: Before calculating the well uncertainty or analyzing well anti-collision, you can set the wellhead position uncertainty.
- Relief well path template: Enables you to efficiently design an intersecting relief well using industry standard technology, depth of intersection point, and preferred distance and azimuth to target well.
- Trajectory uncertainty: Define your survey program for your well plan or survey, and calculate, create, and visualize the ellipsoid of uncertainty (EOU) and volume of uncertainty (VOU) for your trajectory.
- Well Positioning: Anti-collision analysis, no-go zone calculation and Driller’s target analysis can be performed, reported, and displayed in 3D.
Petrel Guru module
- In-context learning: You can access more than 800 pages of content and 400 videos linked to all of the tools across the Petrel platform directly from your data. These cover software, workflows, theory, quality checks, training sequences, and much more.
- Guided workflows: Create interactive automation workflows to speed up common tasks in a user-friendly environment.
- Content management: Administrators can manage content and users without locking a Petrel platform license.
- Cloud hosting: To improve access to updates and the latest materials, all content will be made available on the cloud.
- Updated content: The Petrel 2014 User Experience update includes the latest content.
- Enrich your workflow: Identify other modules and licenses that could be beneficial to your work based on current license selection and User Experience Perspective.
- Try me: The new Try Me capability enables the test of plug-ins from the cloud, giving a sense of how your workflow experience can be enhanced.
Standardize your workflows
The breadth and depth of the Petrel platform enables E&P companies to deploy standardized software workflows from exploration to production. The key is integrating disciplines from petroleum systems modeling through to production analysis on a single platform, while maintaining extensibility with third-party plug-ins or propriety technology.
As part of our ongoing commitment to standardization, the Petrel platform is regularly updated in a structured way.