The latest release of the Petrel E&P software platform introduces a new user experience which has a wide range of new features and quality improvements covering stability, performance, and reliability. The interface is laid out in a logical way driven by geoscience workflows. You can interact with the 3D window data and focus on the geoscience workflow relevant to your project. Key updates by discipline are listed below.
- 1D fault seal evaluation: 1D juxtaposition mapping for rapid understanding of seal potential during exploration.
- Map-based volume calculation (uncertainty): Quantify volumetric uncertainty based on stochastic realizations directly in map-based volumetric workflows.
- Volume-based modeling (DepoSpace plug-in): Construct watertight frameworks using volume-based modeling. Using the DepoSpace plug-in, reconstruct and flatten your model in preparation for property modeling.
- Quality Assurance (QA) maps: Produce and automatically update QA attribute maps from your 3D properties.
- Modeling input parameters spreadsheet for continuous properties: View, edit, exchange, and report full sets or sub sets of petrophysical parameters between zones.
- Facies modeling (truncated Gaussian with trends) An enhanced and intuitive interface for using both the truncated Gaussian with trends and the vertical proportion curves.
- Fracture modeling: Evaluate and model discrete and implicit fractures, driven by either stochastic, geomechanical or tectonic drivers.
- Exploration geology: Directly assign PetroMod* petroleum systems modeling software lithologies to Petrel platform facies models, perform well calibration in 1D petroleum systems modeling and directly access PetroMod software 3D simulation results.
- General enhancements: Improved stereonet and rose diagram plotting, well correlation, stratigraphic chart window, map layering, time series logs and performance through parallelization, enhanced property and facies modeling, map contouring, and more.
- Quantitative interpretation: Investigate AVO anomalies and interpret lithology and pore fluids based advanced rock physics, AVO modeling and reconnaissance, seismic inversion, cross-plotting, and wedge modeling.
- Compression: Achieve a compression file size ratio of 25:1 while retaining full original 32-bit resolution.
- Frequency spectrum: The Inspector function enables quick and interactive interrogation of the frequency spectrum as you select an area of interest in 3D and 2D seismic sections.
- Dip angle and dip azimuth on horizons: Generate and display dip angle and dip azimuth attributes directly from horizon interpretations.
- Triangular mesh: Use the regenerate option to update the existing triangular mesh while interpreting.
- Geobody: Extraction can now be done directly from seismic intersections at full seismic resolution without the use of a probe.
- Well-seismic calibration: Combine different wavelets along the well path and perform multiwell calibration and multiwell synthetic generation through the workflow editor to optimize multiwell analysis.
- General enhancements: Improved visualization and access to data with 24-bit true-color interpolation, horizontal time slice indicators, live auto-tracking in 2D and 3D windows, and more.
- Quick plotting: Quickly plot rock physics, fluid model, tornado chart, history match results, and field performance data.
- Export well model to PIPESIM: A more continuous connection to production is established through the export of well models to the PIPESIM steady-state multiphase flow simulator.
- Dual scale workflow: Minimize property mismatches due to varying structural definition and maximize geological accuracy between your coarse upscaled models and your fine-scaled geological models.
- Field management: Advances in the field management capabilities and fast export of multimillion cell models have resulted in an even more efficient Petrel platform/INTERSECT high-resolution reservoir simulator workflow.
- Uncertainty and optimization: Access two new optimization algorithms: the genetic algorithm and mixed-integer proxy optimizer for greater flexibility and quicker optimization.
- General enhancements: Enhancements to INTERSECT simulator reporting, additional correlation and cluster analysis tools, customized chart splitting, dynamic well filtering, save searches, and more.
- Well deliverability: Access to fluid and flow correlation data matching as well as extended connection to ECLIPSE industry-reference reservoir simulator parameters.
- OFM Well and Reservoir Analysis Software Data Connector: Significantly enhanced user interface for better well matching capabilities with improved performance.
- Extensibility: Create additional functionality for completion and production data with Ocean software development framework APIs to access completion-level data and split set managing.
- Well head position uncertainty: Before calculating well uncertainty or analyzing well anti-collision data you can set the well head position uncertainty.
- Relief well path template: The ability to efficiently design an intersecting relief well utilizing industry-standard ranging technology, depth of intersection point and preferred distance and azimuth to target well.
- Trajectory uncertainty: Define your survey program for your well plan or survey and calculate, and create and visualize your ellipsoid of uncertainty (EOU) and volume of uncertainty (VOU) for your trajectory.
Petrel Guru module
- In-Context Learning: User can access directly from their data more than 800 pages of content and 400 videos linked to all of the tools across the Petrel platform. These cover the usage of the software, workflows, theory, quality checks, training sequences and much more.
- Guided workflows: Create interactive automation workflow to speed up the common task into a user-friendly environment.
- Content management: Administrators can manage the content and users without locking a Petrel platform license.
- Content hosted on the cloud: To improve access to updates and let users download the latest material, all content will now be hosted on the cloud.
- Updated content: All relevant material has been loaded to the new Petrel 2014 User Experience update, facilitating the adoption of the new productive and ergonomic working environment.
- Enrich your workflow: Identify other modules/licenses that would be beneficial to your work based on current license selection and user experience perspective.
- Try me: The new Try Me capability enables the test of plug-ins from the cloud, giving a sense of how your workflow experience can be enhanced.
Standardize your workflows
The breadth and depth of the Petrel platform enables E&P companies to deploy standardized software workflows from exploration to production. The key is integrating disciplines from petroleum systems modeling through to production analysis on a single platform, while maintaining extensibility with third-party plug-ins or propriety technology. As part of our ongoing commitment to standardization, the Petrel platform is delivered in a regular structured update process. This efficient access to new capabilities allows you to proactively plan your deployment procedure.